Veterans Assisted Supportive Housing (VASH)

In order to participate in HUD-VASH, Veterans must be currently homeless, must
be eligible for VA medical care, and must have an identified clinical need for case management. Veterans in transitional housing or residential treatment programs may also be considered for admission.

HUD-VASH is designed to help Veterans living with a disability, mental illness, addiction, chronic homelessness, or other issues who can be helped by participating in ongoing case management. Veterans who have spouses and dependent children are also eligible to participate.

Veterans who are required to register on any Lifetime Sex Offender Register or who exceed income thresholds are not eligible for the program.

What is the HUD-VASH Program?

VASH (Veterans Affairs Supported Housing)

The HUD-VASH program is a partnership between the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to provide case management, supportive services, and subsidized housing vouchers for eligible homeless Veterans.

HUD-VASH Vouchers are administered by Oak Ridge Housing Authority in the area they serve. Oak Ridge Housing Authority vouchers can be used in the city limits of Oak Ridge and 10 miles outside of Oak Ridge, but not in Knox County.

Ongoing case management is provided by social work staff from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The HUD-VASH program allows eligible Veterans to obtain safe, affordable, accessible, permanent housing in a location of their choice. The primary goal of the program is to help move Veterans and their families out of homelessness.

A key component of the program is case management provided by VA social workers. Program participants formulate treatment plans with their social workers and receive ongoing support to attain their goals. Referrals are also made to additional community-based supports.

What does the Case Manager do?

Veteran participation in ongoing, long-term case management is a core program requirement.

HUD-VASH case managers will:

  • work with Veterans to develop individualized treatment plans
  • assist with the voucher application process and housing search
  • coordinate access to needed services and supports
  • provide limited counseling services or referrals when more in-depth support is needed
  • complete program documentation with input from Veterans as needed
  • monitor progress and follow up as needed

After demonstrating appropriate progress, the case manager may decide to discontinue case management. Veterans may graduate from the program in this manner, but can still continue to receive rental assistance as long as it is needed.

What do Veterans Need to Get a Housing Voucher?

Some documents are required as part of the housing authority application process.

Veterans can begin ahead of time to gather these items:

  • Photo ID for all adults
  • Social Security Cards for all household members
  • Birth Certificates for all members
  • Proof of all income
I am eligible, what is my next step?

Contact the Veterans Affairs office at 865-670-2369 for more information.